Technology Leader and Product Manager with software engineering background.
I love to design and deliver digital products that solve real user needs.
Management & Leadership
- Strong track record building and motivating diverse teams, including small and large teams, as well as co-located and geographically dispersed remote teams.
- Experience working with individual direct reports to design growth plans tailored to their interests and ambitions as well as business outcomes.
- Experience creating prototypes at different levels of fidelity appropriate for the hypothesis being tested.
- Thorough understanding of SEO practices having formerly led the team responsible for SEO of FT.com during a major redesign project.
- More than 10 years’ hands-on software development experience.
Communication & Collaboration
- Experience working with stakeholders at all levels, including board-level and 3rd party internal and external collaborators.
- Excellent negotiation skills with a track record of solving complex disagreements for mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Communicates using simple English that is not only clear for native and non-native audiences but is also enjoyable to read.
Details & quality
- Cautious about jumping to conclusions without first methodically verifying assumptions.
- Designs solutions to problems that balance the need for future extensibility against the danger of over-complexity due to functionality that never gets used.
- Takes responsibility for when things don’t go well and insists on clear actions to learn from those occasions.
User Science & Empathy
- Experience designing and executing tests with a wide variety of user science tooling including surveys, usage analytics, AB tests.
- Capable of extracting and analysing user analytics using standard tools, e.g. SQL, Kibana.
- Insists on understanding the limitations of data being collected to minimise the effect of biases and errors on decisions being made from data.
Product Manager, IE Business School Executive MBA graduate, Technologist, Mandarin Chinese speaker, University of Manchester Maths graduate, Grade 8 Pianist, travel addict, 2010 Confucius Institute Scholar, and former Harry Potter extra. Now building products for the news industry with cutting edge technologies for Nikkei and the Financial Times in Tokyo.
- 2019 - present: Product Manager — Financial Times/Nikkei, Tokyo, Japan
- 2016 - 2019: Principal Engineer — Financial Times/Nikkei, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012 – 2016: Software Engineer – Financial Times, London, UK
- 2011 – IT Manager – Climate Bridge, Shanghai, China
- 2010 – Summer Intern at British High Commission – New Delhi, India
- AWS (Lambda, S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, API Gateway, and more)
- Open Source contributor to: FT DOM Delegate, FastClick, isomorphic-fetch, denodeify, s3up
- Make, Bash, Git
- Sass (BEM, component-based CSS architecture)
- Offline websites: AppCache, Service Worker
- CI: CircleCI, Travis, Jenkins
- 16/05/2014 Oxford jQuery UK – Long Life Web Apps
- 23/09/2013 New York EdgeConf – Offline panelist
- 25/09/2012 Beijing Douban.com – HTML5 and web app workshop
- 17/09/2012 London Web Standards – HTML5 for everything and everywhere
- 2018 - 2019: Executive MBA at IE Business School, Madrid sponsored by the FT.
- 2010 – 2011: Mandarin language course at East China Normal University, Shanghai sponsored by the Chinese Government (Confucius Institute)
- 2007 – 2010: BSc Mathematics (2.1), University of Manchester, UK
- Took part in exchange programmes at Seoul National University, South Korea, University of New Delhi, India, and East China Normal University, China.
- Did fun, charitable things for Student Action and Manchester RAG.
- Chinese Mandarin – Advanced
- German – Advanced, although a little rusty
- Japanese — Low intermediate JLPT N5